What items can I donate?
Books for all ages in good condition
Jigsaw Puzzles for all ages
Textbooks in good condition
Audio-books on CD
Please do not bring us magazines, VHS tapes, cassette tapes or books in bad condition
How & where do I leave my book donation?
Donations can be brought into our donation room inside the library anytime the library is open (Monday 12-8pm, Tuesday 1-8pm, Wednesday & Thursday 11am-6pm, Friday & Saturday 10am-5pm.) Library staff can show you where the donation room is, loan you a book truck to help you move your donations inside and provide you with a donation receipt. Please do not leave your donation outside the library.
Pickups are available for very large donations of usable books -- please leave a message at (925) 322-1143 or contact us to discuss.
What happens to my items? The money we raise from selling donated materials goes to the library to pay for library programs and new books, CDs & DVDs. We have granted over $75,000 to the Pleasant Hill Library in the last three years and with your help, we hope to do more.
For 2017, we provided:
- Over 500 books for collections serving all ages
- Pleasant Hill Reads: Friends purchased copies of First Rule of Punk for our annual citywide read which reached 4,000 households in town
- Tinkers & Thinkers Faire, engaging over 1,000 participants with innovative ideas and inventions
- Maker Mondays: Materials for a dozen make and take activities tied to S.T.E.A.M. (Science Tech Engineering Arts, and Math), including a Super Slime Lab, Tiny Terrariums, Junkyard Derby, and Flight Night
- Gingerbread City: our annual winter holiday event drawing over 800 children and families
- Comic Book Night: inspiring young artists and readers with live demos, costumed characters, games, and free comic giveaways.
- Family Nights: monthly shows including live music, magic, and puppet shows
- Pajama Yoga: evening stories and stretches for young families
- Summer Reading Program: extending learning throughout the summer, Friends funded hundreds of prize books for SRP participants.
- Concert Series: Live music ranging from jazz to international styles for adult listeners.
- Pop up Programs for Teens: To stimulate our afterschool crowds, the Friends funded materials to engage youth with crafts, games, technology and more.
Thank you! For more information on how to volunteer, please go to Join Us.
Are my donations tax deductible?
Yes, they are. We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.